#002: Start a Debt-Free Travel Journey
I had to finish off my debt first before making any travel plans, but you don’t have to.
Why is that, you ask?
Well, my guest in the show today, Jateria Pittman, says there are several ways you can plan and save money for travel while still paying your debt.
Still not convinced?
Jateria finished paying off her car debt right after returning home from an exciting trip to Dubai.
But how was that even possible?
Having financial goals.
Redefining what travel means to you.
Budgeting for your every financial need.
Looking for ways to add to your income.
Planning ahead of travel which will make it affordable and enjoyable at the same time
Travel doesn’t have to be complicated and expensive; it is the small daily steps that you take which will take you to your goals. Contrary to what many might think because I’m a travel agent, don’t always get to travel for free. This means I have to implement these steps to ensure I enjoy my trips while staying debt-free. But I wanted you to hear this from a financial expert’s point of view and hence financial educator and travel strategist Jateria Pittman.
This is so much fun! And I can assure you’re going to enjoy it. Here’s the preview of the episode:
- [6:09] Start redefining what travel means to you! Save for what you can afford and don’t concentrate on glamorized travel ideas on social media. Be in line with your financial goals.
- [7:39] Have a budget and look into ways that could help you increase your income. Jateria shares her favorite apps and debit cards that help you save or get cashback.
- [10:32] Have a purpose and mission for every dollar you receive from cash backs. She recommends the number and types of accounts you should have to help plan for your savings goals.
- [15:48] How you can use automation and allocation while transferring money to your savings account to remove the human error.
- [21:33] You can do both travel and pay your debt at the same time. Jateria shares how she traveled to Dubai and paid off her car debt.
- [23:32] The four categories you need to focus on whenever you have that extra money. How to build up your emergency fund to up to $1000 before building up your travel account.
- [26:54] How to plan your trips ahead of time, budget for them, and work towards that goal.
- [32:53] I join Jateria in explaining the importance of paying for the activities ahead of travel time for affordability. Planning ahead before getting there will save you from staying in your hotel room and not enjoying yourself on the trip.