Everything you need to know about points, miles, airlines and credit cards
I know you already like free things, right? How about free travel? Yay! I love free travel and I think you do too, right again?
Travel has always been part of Samantha’s life since childhood but she knew nothing about travel points and miles until she joined The Points Guy. And in a very weird way, she used her lack of knowledge as a starting point to teach others on the same topic.
The best thing about the tips she gives is that you can be a total travel beginner or an OG like me because even I learned so a lot from Samantha’s Beginner’s Guide including:
- Consider getting a flexible credit card
- How to justify expensive annual credit card fees
- Travel points equal value for money
- How to translate shopping into travel points
There are a lot of credit cards as Samantha mentions, but it is up to you to know which one works best for you. Get a card that aligns with your travel goals and offers you the best value. Also, it is in your best interest to start slow and find a card that matches your spending habits.
This episode is absolutely value-packed. YOU don’t want to miss a minute. Here’s a preview of what awaits you:
- [6:08] Get a credit card that gives you a lot of flexibility! Is having an airline specific card the way to go or a financial type of card? Samantha recommends what type of purchases should go on the card while having your travel goal in mind.
- [15:15] What’s the deal with those high annual credit card fees? Samantha advises that you should not be afraid of cards with annual fees because more often than not the benefits outweigh the cost. But also, be vigilant and do your research before signing up for a card with annual fees.
- [18:36] Should you sign up for a loyalty program with a hotel or airline? Be sure you only do so with the ones you use and frequent to get the best value.
- [20:24] Travel points have monetary value! Before you use your points, ask yourself; am I getting the best value out of this?
- [26:08] The double dipping strategy! Find out how to earn points for one purchase at the same time.
- [29:27] You can earn points simply by shopping! Airlines partner with major retailers through shopping portals. Gain points from your regular shopping. Amazing isn’t it? Travel for free off of your shopping.
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Erica James Travel Podcast Community
- Samantha Rosen
- The Points Guy
- TPG beginner’s guide: Everything you need to know about points, miles, airlines and credit cards
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Chase Visa
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- American Express Gold
- American Express Everyday
- American Express Platinum
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant
- TPG from A to Z: Your complete travel glossary
- The best first credit cards for 2020
- What credit card you should have, depending on what type of traveler you are